Johnson & Johnson (Pty) Ltd, the Consumer business in South Africa, launched its very first product – JOHNSON’S® Baby & Toilet Powder in this country in 1930. Over the years, generations of South Africans have trusted Johnson & Johnson to provide them with nurturing care, expert advice and a range of advanced products consistently adapted to meet the ever-changing needs of South Africa’s diverse consumer base.
We’ve been proud citizens of South Africa for more than 86 years and we continue to touch the lives of millions of consumers, every day, with products that help them, and the people they care for, live healthy vibrant lives.
- • 1930: Johnson & Johnson (Pty) Ltd South Africa established in Johannesburg.
- • 1932: Local production of Johnson’s Baby powder commences.
- • 1944: Premises leased in East London South Africa to centralise manufacturing and stocking points.
- • 1950: Work commences on building our East London factory.
- • 1956: Johnson & Johnson (Pty) Ltd moves to current East London site – today supplying products to markets in Sub Sahara Africa, Middle East and Turkey.
- • 1961: South Africa declared a republic.
- • 1970 – 1990: Johnson & Johnson (Pty) Ltd a leading force in applying anti-apartheid Sullivan principles.
- • 1994: First democratic elections in South Africa.
- • 2007: Johnson & Johnson (Pty) Ltd acquires Pfizer Consumer Healthcare brands and a pharmaceutical plant in Cape Town.
- • 2007: Johnson & Johnson (Pty) Ltd relocates their Commercial Head Office to Cape Town.
- • 2014 – 2016: Significant investment in both manufacturing plants in South Africa (East London and Cape Town) to ensure adequate capacity to meet growing business in Sub Sahara Africa.